Thursday, March 03, 2011

Forgiveness, Even If You Don't Love Me Anymore

First of all, let me say that I object the use of violence as a means for practically any purpose in society. But of course, it is important to distinguish between violence with hooliganism or just plain old heckling. Moreover, I am of the opinion that the use of physical confrontation as a tactic for achieving political goal is generally counter-productive.

However, having said that, a couple nights ago, after hearing about the alleged attack on the Chief Executive from the late news, I couldn't help but put this on my Facebook page: “A true leader does not divert attention from facing the issues, resolving the conflict, and overcoming the discontent, by going to the emergency room.”

All we have been hearing from the Chief Executive and other senior government officials has been how they conthe violence, and how the Chief Secretary is looking for ways to stop the confrontation and throwing of objects in the legislative council chamber by LSD legislators. OK, but did our senior government officials stop and think about why are people resorting to such behaviors? They have the right to criticize the use of violence or physical confrontation as tactics, but at the same time they must also step up and deal with the problem.

For example, when I heard Secretary of Development Carrie Lam saying on a radio program last weekend that she believed the use of such physical confrontation was not conducive to monitoring and improving governance, I really wanted to ask her, so, what would be conducive? What would it take for those you shun to get your attention? Or are you trying to say, you behave yourselves first, stop criticizing, and only then, maybe I will give you a few candies.

Sadly, I have to conclude that our Government strives on divisiveness as its means to govern, and has no interest in building real consensus.

When I saw the reactions on Facebook the night of the alleged attack on our Chief Executive, I cannot help but notice and wonder, when was the last time a “victim of violence” actually received more ridicule and criticism than sympathies? The writings are indeed on the wall. When will our Government wake up?

I also cannot help but think of the late US President Ronald Reagan, who survived an assassination attempt in 1981. When he was in the emergency room after being shot in the chest, he actually joked to his wife Nancy, “Honey, I forgot to duck.” A simple sense of humor that lightened up the matter and helped his loved one and indeed the whole country get on with the healing.

But not only that our Chief Executive lacks the intelligence to laugh at himself, he has chosen to play the role of the victim of violence, make a small matter bigger than it ought to be, instead of rising to the occasion to bring unity and harmony to society, like a leader should. I would hope so much that our Chief Executive would have the grace to stand up and say, “I forgive this young man, and I don't want to see his future tarnished by a criminal offense, and so I will urge against pressing charges. In fact, I will call this young man myself and invite him to my house, and let's talk over our difference. I will not promise that I can do everything he asks, but I want to start by listening first.”

Unfortunately we all know that this will not happen here. Or else, Hong Kong would not be in the dire straits we are already in.

So I couldn't help but put this second status update on my Facebook page that night: “Be a man, shrug it off, and you unite us. Be a wimp, make a big fuss, and you divide society.”

And, finally, I like to dedicate this song by Don Henley, “The Heart Of The Matter” (1990), to our Chief Executive, and ask him to listen closely to the lyrics that goes,

Forgiveness,
Forgiveness,
Even if, even if, you don't love me anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->