Monday, May 01, 2006

Revisiting Purdue

I went back to Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, for a weekend visit -- the first time in almost 17 years, when I attended my wife's graduation commencement ceremony in 1988. I myself graduated in 1985 (bachelor) and 1987 (master).

There are a lot of changes on campus, like the new clock tower...


...and the new fountain on the mall...


Looking out from the new MSEE (Material Science and Electrical Engineering) building to Hovde Hall and the fountain....


But of course, the old EE building where I spent many of my school days is still standing next to the new building gracefully...


I stopped by the Black and Gold Game -- a tradition of the Purdue Boilermakers football team to mark the end of spring practice.


The black team quarterback throwing for a touchdown in the third quarter...


Chip Rutledge, Vice President for Research, showed me the new Discovery Park still under construction, at the ground of the old Married Student Housing. Home to Purdue's interdisciplinary research program, it is also an example of successful technology transfer, private-academic partnership and entrepreneurship. The centers for bioscience, nanotechnology and entrepreneurship are in operation, and the e-enterprise center will be coming soon.



My friend Mike Stitsworth and his wife Karen took me to visit to the new Dauch Alumni Center just south of Young Graduate House.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->